2 Day Biodynamic Farming Course | Food. Incl. | 16-17 oct Gympie
This course is ideally suited to someone who is looking at getting onto land/buying land or already has land, and wishes to utilise it. Someone that knows the importance of fortifying their own food supply and taking care of the soil, in a holistic way, while wanting to make a profit from selling at the market, or storing crops for themselves.
You will learn the importance of soil fertility, covercrops, biodynamic preparations, integration of chickens, sheep & pigs, managing orchards & orchard health and in our practicals we will be designing, building and implementing a food forest and bulk vegetable crop supply system.
I will personally work with each one of you all, making sure that you are getting the correct training, and understanding the practical application of principles in the field, thats why we keep our numbers low!
This farming course, It is my deepest desire to impart the knowledge of the soil and plants to you, in a relaxed way with plenty of time for the information to sink in, and everyone to ask the questions they need to ask. Biodynamics is a life long journey, this course will get you started in the right way.
- introduction to biodynamics & the biodynamic calander
- Farm Tour, and learning how to read the landscape and the history/context of the land
- Soil fertility- Constructing compost - making CPP pit - Making horn preperations
- Making foliar sprays - BD soil sprays, tree pastes and applying them to orchard, pasture and vegetable production for pest&disease prevention, health and vitality
- sitting circle Q&A - BBQ Lunch
This module we will be looking at our site conditions. Learning how to read the soil conditions by analysing root systems of grass's and from a physical "soil pit" Where we can take in more information of the structure, root depth and carbon content + any visible layers. Aswell as using our mornings lesson of "reading the landscape" to understand what is going to be necessary to transform the vegetation into a resource.
I will take you through my own design process when I approach soil cultivation, using my experience cultivating many different soil types in many different landforms & eco systems. We will all sit down and think over our approach and weigh up the factors of no-till, deep till or high density covercropping to remediate soil conditions and stimulate biology, hydrology and ecology process's. On our farm we already have swales in place. But we will also run through the reasons why you would put a swale in, and if it is necessary or not. ultimately I want you to start thinking and understanding the simplicity of it all.
We all will then come to our conclusion through group Q&A's, idea sharing and lots of understanding of the process's involved & start soil cultivation & organic matter processing.
Finish up 330pm Sleep on the day's information & go over your notes, jot down any questions and bring them to breakfast.
Second Day Group breakfast, Q&A, revision of plan - bouncing ideas or improvements
- Full day hands on practical, revising design - applying all the BD preps, sprays and compost as we sickle, scythe, brush cut, machete, chainsaw and dig our way into a fully self enclosed, self mulching, self fertilising, self regulating, high production fruit, nut, berry and vegetable production system that feeds your family, friends and provides excess for sale or storage .. from scratch! - direct seeding, cover-cropping, transplanting, custom planting brews, soil preparing, string lining, measuring & spacing of all our common kitchen and staple crops. Running through irrigation budgeting and installing irrigation.
But most of all you will learn how to utilise the forest, your weeds, overgrown grass and other natural resources growing all around you, that you never thought possible and process these correctly. The best part, its what the earth craves!...... and its free!