2. Day Biodynamic Self Sufficiency Food Production Course | Food. Incl.
This course is ideally suited to someone who is looking at getting onto land/buying land or already has land, and wishes to utilise it. Someone that knows the importance of fortifying their own food supply and taking care of the soil, in a holistic way.
You will learn the importance of soil fertility, covercrops, biodynamic preparations, integration of chickens, sheep & pigs, managing orchards & orchard health and in our practicals we will be designing, building and implementing a food forest and bulk vegetable crop supply system.
I will personally work with each one of you all, making sure that you are getting the correct training, and understanding the practical application of principles in the field, thats why we keep our numbers low! Above is basic guidelines that we will follow, but there is so much in-between! Its my main objective to make sure the principles are expressed in a simple way to understand and reinforced with hands on practical, so you fully understand the concepts and application. After this course you will be equipped with the knowledge and skills to produce your own food in abundance, and start a deeper journey into learning about the land, the soil and biodynamics.
- introduction to biodynamics & the biodynamic calendar
- Farm Tour, and learning how to read the landscape and the history/context of the land
- Soil fertility- Constructing compost - making CPP pit - Making horn preparations
- Making foliar sprays - BD soil sprays, tree pastes and applying them to orchard, pasture and vegetable production for pest&disease prevention, health and vitality
- sitting circle Q&A - BBQ Lunch
- Understanding what is actually going on all around us, a look inside the mind of nature, the species and what they are telling us, reading the weeds and taking this information into our design process
- Reading the soil conditions & understanding past land usage, taking this information into our design process
- Reading what type of resources we have growing around us/sitting in piles/growing nearby & taking this information into our design process
- Analysing water storage or harvesting potential
- Analysing dietary consumption of your own family & taking this into design considerations
- basic Planning for retail sale & distribution (if interested)
- Group activity working together designing & understanding decision making processes for the approach on soil cultivation, species selection and planting of the terrace slopes in fruit&nut agroforestry - & the terrace flats in vegetable production
Second Day Group breakfast, overview of design layout & resource analysis - revision - bouncing ideas or improvements
- Full day hands on practical, revising design - applying all the BD preps and compost as we sickle, scythe, brush cut, machete, chainsaw and dig our way into a fully self enclosed, self mulching, self fertilising, self regulating, high production fruit, nut, berry and vegetable production system that feeds your family, friends and provides excess for sale or storage .. from scratch! - direct seeding, cover-cropping, transplanting, custom planting brews, soil preparing, string lining, measuring & spacing of all our common kitchen and staple crops. Running through irrigation budgeting and install.
But most of all you will learn how to utilise the forest, your weeds, overgrown grass and other natural resources growing all around you, that you never thought possible and process these correctly. The best part, its what the earth craves!
Where : Situated in Tamborine Mountain
When : 4-5th September
Thank-you! Hope to see you there,